Dual RJ45s on a SIP phone-- WHY?

I see that several VOIP handsets, such as the

“Grandstream GXP-2000 SIP VoIP Phone Dual RJ45 VoIP”

have 2 RJ45 connectors.

WHY ?

I can’t see when or how I would use the 2nd connector ?

Any thoughts ??

I’m not familiar with that phone, but a lot of phones have an inbuilt ethernet switch so you connect your network to the phone then your PC to the second RJ45 on the phone.
I had that on some Avaya IP phones. A good idea, (you need less router ports,) except your PC loses network conectivity every time the phone reboots. So I stopped using the second port.

Cheers

Hi

Simple one in one out,
This way you dont need two cables to the desk and two ports on the switch, and to how and why, well just tot up the cost of cabling two points to every user and doubling the number of switch ports.

Basicly you plug you PC into the second port.

[quote=“ianplain”]Hi

Simple one in one out,
This way you dont need two cables to the desk and two ports on the switch, and to how and why, well just tot up the cost of cabling two points to every user and doubling the number of switch ports.

Basicly you plug you PC into the second port.[/quote]

If the user is on the phone, and does someting on his PC which generates any significant network traffic, even if you have Qos for VOIP packet priority, won’t the users Voice Conversation get trashed since
all that traffic, VIOP AND PC, have to come over the same cable ???

Well I supose in theory is the user did something that generates 100Mb of traffic then maybe, But I have never seen this be a problem in nearly 6 years of deploying dual port sets and never had a compaint yet.