Do I need virtualization to run Asterisk?

Hi all:

I’m working with a provider to setup a simple IVR using Asterisk. I have a server setup with Debian Squeeze dis, Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc., and originally planned to install Asterisk on the same machine.

Now, this provider tells me that I should buy a second dedicated server, or virtualize the existing one and install Asterisk on its own, which does not make sense to me. I mean, if you’re really paranoid, having a dedicated server might make sense, although the IVR will take at most 50 calls per day, and they will last 2 minutes top each, so buying a second server seems overkill. But VIRTUALIZATION ??? It will slow down everything.

I’m really clueless about Asterisk, and would need your help. Should I question their recommendation, or is it legit (or even required)? Are there really good reasons to recommend virtualizing the server?

Thanks for your insights !

Arnaud

No. Using a virtual server with only one guest machine doesn’t make sense, and Asterisk is always best run on real hardware, and, if using actual line cards, almost certainly has to be.

This was on the wrong forum.