Do Any VOIP Clients Actually Work?

So far everyone claims their VOIP service works good but they are just empty claims and it’s all lies.
Never could get Skype to work so don’t know about it but using the Idefisk phone program with VoipJet the quality isn’t really too bad.That’s the best combination I’ve found so far and it’s still not quite good enough to use for anything unless there is no other alternative.
It tends to cut off the ends of words and sounds a bit distorted when the internet is good but gets pretty choppy when the internet is busy.
I also tried Idefisk with another service called Voxee that also claims to be good. It only involved changing the server, user name and password in Idefisk and everything else is the same but it’s TERRIBLE with Voxee even though they both seem to be using the same servers in New Jersey!
When I try to call there is about a 15 SECOND DELAY from the time I talk until the other person can hear me and respond. That’s not 15Ms but 15 SECONDS! I don’t know how they can have such a long delay unless they are bouncing the signal to the moon and back each time.
I think the problem is that none of these VOIP services know how a phone system is supposed to work. How can they expect anyone to use a system that chops up the words, has a lot of echo and distortion with a 15 second delay?

hi steve,

may i ask what kind of internet connection do you have?..the speed and bandwidth if possible…maybe the problem that you are experiencing is in the way you get connected to the internet…if you are only using a 56kbps dial up connection then chances are you are most likely to experience what you are going through right now. also there are other reasons like the way your ISP handles packets from its clients. if your ISP does not have the capability to route packets that are requested by their clients there is also the possibilty of not being able to route properly voice packets used in voip. since to better have a better and quality service of voip, voice packets should be routed to the best and shortest path possible for it to reach its destination, otherwise loses may be felt and would really be very evident.

Not the internet at my end, it’s broadband with 3Mb down and 128Kb up.
I know routing can be a problem which is why I think it will never work well enough to use for anything but tinkering by experimenters.
The biggest problem with VOIP besides not working when the internet is busy is that when someone answers the phone and they don’t hear anyone right away they just hangup!
I was able to make a call at noon that was just fine but this evening it’s not working at all!

hi steve,

well i think that it is not the technology that is having the problem…but rather the ISP providing you with the connection. without proper equipment to best route the packets, problems such as what you are having arises. it is very clear that they are not able to manage their clients well since the amount of traffic incurred during specified times of the day are not taken care of very well.