Debian sarge non-root problems

Morning,

I’ve installed Asterisk 1.0.9 (from the unstable tree) on Debian Sarge (obviously I recompile them).

I have a couple of SIP phone (SPA-841) and 2 HFCs cards for the ISDN. Everything works great (a very slight, most people don’t pick it up, echo on the sip phones but I’m afraid that that is probably the quality of the phones)

Anyway the question I have is that I can’t run asterisk as a non-root user. If I run asterisk via the start-stop-daemon the sip registrations fail. As a temporary solution I’ve commented out the start-stop-daemon in the init file and directly call the asterisk daemon. This is fine for testing but not a great idea for production. There’s obvioulsy a permission problem somewhere but I’ve been unable to find it (syslog doesn’t highlight anything).

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also run shorewall (and therefore netfilters) on the same box. This can’t be the cause of the grief as the root user wouldn’t work either.

Last thing: Great piece of software. Not simple but it been fun learning about something new.