Core2 Duo E4400, 2.0Ghz vs. Dual Core Pentium D 925, 3.0Ghz?

Which server would be better for a trixbox server? I’m leaning towards the OptiPlex, because it has 3 year support. I think the Core 2 Duo is also a faster cpu, if I’m not mistaken. There will be about 5-6 phones hooked up to it, never more than 4 concurrent calls at a time. We’re using the G.711u codec.

PowerEdge SC440:
configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ … ed3e&s=bsd

OptiPlexTM 320:
configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ … waef&s=bsd

For just 4 concurrent calls you don’t need a full blown server. I have an Epia ITX 600 mhz motherboard server running Asterisk using g.711 codec and I’m sure that will do in your situation. It’s cheaper, you save a lot of electrical power (the box just use 20 Watt per hour) and, unless you drown them in water, this kind of boards keep on going.

Thanks for your input… Would you mind sharing a few more things…?
How much memory does that machine have?
What VOIP providers & experience are you using and how have they been as far as reliability (uptime), support, and features are concerned?
Are you using trixbox or just Asterisk?
Have you tried any other PBXes such as 3CX or Axon?

Thank you.

How much memory does that machine have?

• the epia itx board I’m using has 256 mb memory and it is still going strong.

What VOIP providers & experience are you using and how have they been

• I have represent Voop AS for a while in Holland. They do technical miracles if it comes to enterprise class VOIP. They proof that high quality voip is possible and you don’t have to comprimise. But remember, quality always has a price.

as far as reliability (uptime), support, and features are concerned?
-If you have an Asterisk server running with a simple configuration that is doing what you want the pbx to do and you have just a couple of calls ones in a while the change is there that you forget that there is actually a box running somewhere.

Are you using trixbox or just Asterisk?

• I started with Xorcom, did a lot in plain Asterisk and I’m now working with ScopServ, te best gui for Asterisk available. It is closed software (you have to pay licences), but it worth every penny.

Have you tried any other PBXes such as 3CX or Axon?

• I have never worked with other telephony platforms. I have seen the “gui” of a Tenovis PBX bacause it has to be linked to an Asterisk server and the Asterisk/Scoperv combination is lightyears ahead in terms of functionalities and ease of use compared to th Tenovis PBX.

If you don’t need fancy web enabled monitoring and log tools but just a pbx and a simple dial plan and you just have a handfull of phones it is not that hard to configure Asterisk by changing the .conf files. It is “the hard way” but you will learn the most.