Callerid problem on T1, getting numbers but nothing else

We’ve had a problem receiving callerid for a long time now. We get the numeric portion of the callerid but not the alpha portion (eg “John Doe” <8885551212>).

We worked with our T1 provider and they basically provided us with a ton of proof that they were sending the full callerid down the line.

We spoke with Sangoma and I think they told us that the callerid problem couldn’t be caused by their device, although it is a little hard to understand their support so I could be wrong. We went ahead and used a new card and new drivers just in case.

We built a new system and installed it this weekend. We kept the original /etc/asterisk directory from the old system but everything else is new. New motherboard/cpu/etc, new Sangoma A101, new install of Centos 4.4, latest Asterisk and Zaptel, latest stable Sangoma drivers. Same problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing us to only receive the numeric portion of the callerid? Any help would be appreciated.

For reference below are the config files.

zaptel.conf-------------------------------------------------------------

Autogenerated by /usr/local/sbin/sangoma/setup-sangoma – do not hand edit

Zaptel Channels Configurations (zaptel.conf)

loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

#Sangoma A101 port 1 [slot:2 bus:5 span: 1]
span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
dchan=24

zapata.conf-------------------------------------------------------------
;autogenerated by /usr/local/sbin/config-zaptel do not hand edit
;Zaptel Channels Configurations (zapata.conf)
;
;For detailed zapata options, view /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf.orig

[trunkgroups]

[channels]
context=default
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=yes
usecallingpres=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
canpark=yes
cancallforward=yes
callreturn=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1

immediate=no

;Sangoma A101 port 1 [slot:2 bus:5 span: 1]
switchtype=national
;context=from-pstn
context=default
group=0
signalling=pri_cpe
channel => 1-23

wanpipe1.conf-----------------------------------------------------------
[devices]
wanpipe1 = WAN_AFT, Comment

[interfaces]
w1g1 = wanpipe1, , TDM_VOICE, Comment

[wanpipe1]
CARD_TYPE = AFT
S514CPU = A
CommPort = PRI
AUTO_PCISLOT = NO
PCISLOT = 2
PCIBUS = 5
FE_MEDIA = T1
FE_LCODE = B8ZS
FE_FRAME = ESF
FE_LINE = 1
TE_CLOCK = NORMAL
TE_REF_CLOCK = 0
TE_HIGHIMPEDANCE = NO
LBO = 0DB
FE_TXTRISTATE = NO
MTU = 1500
FE_TXTRISTATE = NO
MTU = 1500
UDPPORT = 9000
TTL = 255
IGNORE_FRONT_END = NO
TDMV_SPAN = 1
TDMV_DCHAN = 24

[w1g1]
ACTIVE_CH = ALL
TDMV_ECHO_OFF = NO
TDMV_HWEC = NO

first of all, do you see alpha portion in you carriers trace?
the second you need to bump up Q.931 logging level and check all the signaling between your card and the carrier. Besides that would be nice to rent ISDN monitor and tap on the line. This would allow you to see what’s going on exactly.

To kind of verify that there was no callerid info coming in we hooked up a new trixbox system to the T1 line yesterday. We’ve never had a problem with a Trixbox system using a T1 card not seeing alpha callerid on a basic install. The Trixbox system saw no alpha either. So we were pretty confident this was a Time Warner Telecom issue.

However, this morning we looked through the Master.csv file and sure enough there is full callerid info in there.

“”,“2815551212”,“7135551212”,“default”,""“JOHNSON J “” <2815551212>”,“Zap/1-1”,“SIP/______-08e351f8”,“Dial”,“SIP/7135551212@______|60|”,"2007-04-01 14:11$

So now I have to figure out what in the heck is going on. I’ve tried adding a wait 2 to give Asterisk time to handle the callerid but that doesn’t seem to help. The thing that kills me is that I’ve always been able to use a Trixbox system to test the T1 connection to see if a problem was on my end or the Telecom side since its basic configuration just works. And in this case it just doesn’t work.

If anyone know what I can do to resolve this problem I’d love some help.

Thanks