Call recordings (IVR)

I want the caller to use the 0 key to decline recording

This was replaced, long ago, by Asterisk the Definitive Guide, earlier version of which are also available free online.

excuse me but do I have to read a book when I ask for advice on the forum?

Each time I have the impression that you only want to leave me struggling by redirecting me to links that you have found on google

In most cases, I’m using a few links that I know from past experience better explain the issue in hand than I could do with a short response. I might actually look them up to get the right URL, but I mostly know which article I want. Occasionally, if I think Google should have produced a result, or I find the problem intriguing, but I don’t recognize it, I may do a more thorough Google search.

I will try to remember not to reply to you in future.

Sure does, but I only control my own systems, and the feature codes are non-negotiable due to customer demands.

It may well be, I’ve just never encountered it. What I HAVE encountered, however, is * being used to abort a transfer on analog PBXes, and that’s where most of our customers come from.

If that’s the best advice we can give you, yes.

You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of how Asterisk works, and how to write a dialplan.

Most people on the forum uses their spare time, answering questions, no one wants to just write your dialplan for you, we’d rather help you find the information you need, to get the problem solved. Sometimes that’s best illustrated with a section of dialplan, other times, it’s better done with referring you to another source that describes the concept you need to learn.

Most people would love to help you, help yourself, but very few wants to spend their spare time just doing things for you, without making you understand what you’re actually doing… That old saying about giving a man a fish, and feeding him for a day, but teaching him to fish and feeding him for life, comes to mind.

That book and the asterisk wiki, the section about the individual applications and functions, is kinda all you need. I’ve even outlined the callflow you need to build. But I’m not gonna spend hours building it, and copying my own solution for you, as an example would lead to so many more questions, as it’s made for a more complex setup than you seem to have on your hands.

1 Like

Yes. Maybe not the whole book, maybe invest a few hours googling, but yes.

Asterisk is like a box of Leggos. You can build anything, but the key word is ‘you.’

If you were to call up Leggo Customer Support, it might go something like this:

I wanna build the Millennium Falcon.

Great, welcome to the family. Are you having difficulty with the instructions?

I haven’t read the instructions, I just want to build that MF.

OK. We find that most customer’s appreciate learning how to build their exact vision rather that just focusing on a single goal. Have you tried something smaller, say an X Fighter?

No. I just want an MF.

Well, maybe purchasing an assembled collectible would be more in line with your goals.

Maybe that’s a bad analogy, but everybody here is just a volunteer, maybe just trying to ‘pay it forward’ to help others as they were helped, maybe for the intellectual exercise, maybe they just like bad analogies.

1 Like

this is a gas plant : Asterisk 13 Application_MixMonitor - Asterisk Project - Asterisk Project Wiki
This is a tutorial with a concrete case: http://denisrosenkranz.com/tuto-asterisk-mettre-en-place-un-menu-interactif-ivr-avec-googletts/

Why doesn’t asterisk do documentation like this?

We provide reference material as part of the source code, which is what the wiki link is, and require it for new stuff or changes. If people wanted to contribute more full examples or tutorials then it would be something we would review and likely add.

Because it’s not needed in most cases.

There are people writing long texts on how you use and configure asterisk, but once you’ve figured out the basics, like how patterns in the dialplan are matched, how the dialplan is executed, where the config files are, how to organize your dialplan etc. you really only need to know, what applications are available, what they do, and how to use them. (Eg. parameters, external files required, data formats expected etc.)

For most developers, which is who mostly uses asterisk, tutorials, and step by step guides, will just waste a lot of time, trying to extract the required information.

I agree, the example linked to seemed to be a very specific use case, that would likely not apply to many people.

Some modules do have examples, but they are generally concise and common examples of how to use that specific module. Not an entire sample scenario. There are a few of these in the sample extensions.conf I think and these have waned in relevance over time.

The only application I really don’t understand and wish there was better “context” examples for (as in an example with usage context) is the BridgeWait application. Never really figured that one out, or bothered to dig into it - it seems like something that could be useful, but the documentation is so bizarre that I’m not actually sure.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.