Bumped Inbound Calls

We use Asterisk to accept out support calls, these calls come in from different Asterisk servers depending on where the calls is made from, e.g. NY it’s a NY number, UK is a UK number.

The calls are routed to a support queue (queues.conf) on the server where the call arrives and the rings every phone in the queue at the same time.

Regardless of where the call comes in, sometimes if someone is already on the phone they are bumped off the call and can’t resume until the inbound call has been answered by another operator. When the call has been answered they are able to hit the resume button. So, it looks like they are put on hold as the new call comes in? Any ideas?

That’s due to how the phone is configured, and possibly some local Asterisk configuration to add extra headers to force the phone to answer the second line.

First suggestion would be to see if the phone can be configured not to accept a second call. If not, there are options to limit the number of calls from Asterisk, but they are a bit tricky an have changed between versions. The main problem is that, at least for 1.4, they count incoming and outgoing calls separately.

I would expect a phone in a default configuration to present the call, but require a button to be pressed to actually answer it.

Thanks for the really quick response, I will check the configuration of the phones which are the cisco 79XX series. The curious thing is that this only happens on calls which come from the support queues and doesn’t seem to happen with two inbound calls to an extension, e.g. if it’s to the extension it will give the option to put the call on hold etc. When it’s from the support queue, sometimes not every time, the call seems to get bumped.

I don’t see how the calls would look different to the phone, if they are both actually being presented to it, unless there is some customisation adding special headers. You would need to get SIP traces to be see if there were any difference.

Thanks, its kind of what I thought but it’s nice to hear someone else state it. You’ve given me enough to go on and ideas on how to track down the problem. Thanks!