Best Operating System

I previously did an asteriskNOW install, but i kinda Hate it. So I have learned enough about VoiP and Asterisk in general that I Think i’d rather do a full install of asterisk. Any Opinions on what would be the best operating system for Asterisk. I am thinking of using Ubuntu, Any thoughts or opinions on this would be appreciated.

You can use the distro which you prefer, the most used is CentOS I think, I use OpenSuse and I’m happy about.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni
www.marcobruni.net

Congrats to another person installing the “real” Asterisk. I vote CentOS as well. I think at the end of the day you need to feel comfortable with what ever OS you are using.

[quote=“daswuulfe”]Any Opinions on what would be the best operating system for Asterisk.[/quote] “Best” is subjective. That said, though, there are benchmarks that show asterisk on Solaris/OpenSolaris supports over three-to-ten (10) times the call concurrency over Linux on like hardware.

The latest OpenSolaris releases (any of the so called “Nevada” releases 2008-xx and later) have a “personality” option that allows for a GNU-like “modality” which makes it a bit more “familar” to linux admin’s. If enabled, it may make doing the asterisk thing easier then “native” (non-GNU) UNIX (not Linux) personality.

I, myself, am too new to asterisk/freepbx but I would be using a opensolaris hosted asterisk/freepbx solution if I had the personal wherewithal.

If you go this route and are successful, we’d love to see the how-to.

Cheers,

This is all well and good but linux can easily support 200 simultaneous calls and if you need to support more and you dont have a very good HA system in place you are asking for a ton of trouble.

The “BEST” OS is the one you know the best. If you know none of them I would highly recommend CentOS as it widely used with Asterisk and is now the OS in both Trixbox and AsteriskNOW.

[quote=“swaterhouse”]…if you need to support more and you dont have a very good HA system in place you are asking for a ton of trouble.[/quote]HA is where solaris shines.

Using ZFS as an example, where asterisk is installed and operating on a ZFS partition, a PERFECT rollback from a bad update is two command lines and few seconds away.

And if the asterisk is running in a solaris ZONE on ZFS, well, then, … :smiley:

/S