Becoming a CLEC

Hello

There are 3 or 4 countries that are really expensive to call, even from VoIP providers. I was wondering if it would be possible to become a CLEC. Do you have to have 2 Asterisk boxes connected together? like 1 in the U.S. and the second one say in Latvia, and do your calls count as local when you call Latvia?

Thank You

well i dunno if this really is the same as becoming a CLEC… CLEC is sort of a usa thing. You could certainly get some latvian phone lines, hook them up to a * box down there and make calls for the local rate. However this would probably be a violation of latvian law. Calls to such places are usually expensive because of laws that enforce a telecom monopoly, and the monopoly usually doesn’t like competition :smile:

How many concurrent calls will each line connected to Asterisk support? is it only 1?

if you are talking analog lines, then yes each line is one channel
you could also of course get PRI lines from the foreign telco in which case you get more. however if we are talking real entrenched monopoly you get bullshit like $1000/mo for a T1…

[quote=“IronHelix”]if you are talking analog lines, then yes each line is one channel
you could also of course get PRI lines from the foreign telco in which case you get more. however if we are talking real entrenched monopoly you get bullshit like $1000/mo for a T1…[/quote]

I see, Is that the way, big companies do it? like XO communications? Is there any other way of getting cheap calls to internatinal countrys?

Thanks

well it depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to call a particular person in the country you could give them an IP phone and make the call for free, possibly using a system like free world dialup (or have them register straight to your * server).

As for how the big guys do it, I’d assume it’s similar to this- set up a CLEC type agreement in the remote country, pipe some internet down there and hook up a server. However the local telco is still allowed to charge them up the wazoo for doing this.

Well they are not as bad as one may think…

voipproviderslist.com/countr … rs-latvia/