[quote=“dalenoll”]Is is possible, with the installation of the ‘Time Conditions’ module, to do time of day routing using FreePBX.
As to which s better…
I believe it is a matter of personal preference and abilities. There are some things I like FreePBX for because some tasks are simply easier. There are some tasks that I find it easier to write directly in dial plan, but FreePBX provides the ‘_custom’ mechanism. It also provides the ‘_override’ mechanism if I do not like the way something works. Sometimes, when using FreePBX, you have to do things that may seem a bit contrived in order to make something work the way you want, but depending on your needs, you may never run into that.
Some benefits of using a GUI such as FreePBX.
- Feature rich dial plan that is easy to configure.
- Community of users to ask questions to, though sometimes the questions do not get answered.
- Easy management of devices and extensions. This lowers the learning curve or allows people to use the system that would never consider writing dial plan code.
- Perceived ‘polished’ look when the Customer/Executive see a GUI front-end.
There are, of course, some limitations to using a GUI such as FreePBX.
- Adds a layer of complexity to debugging because you have to work with someone else’s generated code.
- You cannot do complex things, like true IVR. Simple Auto Attendant menus are there, but complex database related work, no.
- Because the code is generated for you, you may not take the opportunity to really learn how Asterisk works.
- If your customers can manage their own systems due to the ease of management, it may reduce billable hours. [/quote]
Thanks (both) for your quick responses and specially you, dalenoll, for your complete answer!
It’s very interesting the thing that you point out about IVR. Given that I don’t know all things it can be done with it, could you point me out some URL or some source of information about it? Maybe a few axamples?
Other point that I would like to implement is the Active Directory integration so that the process of authentication and assignment of extensions gets automatized and things like this. Is it possible to do this with FreePBX?