Asterisk SCF

I wonder what is the difference between “Asterisk+SIP proxy server” (f.e. Kamailio) and “Asterisk SCF” ? :unamused:

Howdy,

Asterisk SCF isn’t a SIP proxy server. It’s a framework for building communications applications. It’s something more generic than either Asterisk or OpenSIPs.

Cheers.

[quote=“malcolmd”]Howdy,

Asterisk SCF isn’t a SIP proxy server. It’s a framework for building communications applications. It’s something more generic than either Asterisk or OpenSIPs.

Cheers.[/quote]

So, if I need a “large” installation with high performance, distributed, scalable, fault-tolerant, I still need a SIP proxy ?

Howdy,

What is the true nature of your question?

Are you asking whether you’ll eventually use Asterisk SCF in place of a SIP proxy? What’s delivered with Asterisk SCF isn’t a SIP Proxy. You could build a SIP Proxy out of Asterisk SCF, if you so desired. You could build a B2BUA with Asterisk SCF, if you so desired.

Cheers.

[quote=“malcolmd”]Howdy,

What is the true nature of your question?

Are you asking whether you’ll eventually use Asterisk SCF in place of a SIP proxy? What’s delivered with Asterisk SCF isn’t a SIP Proxy. You could build a SIP Proxy out of Asterisk SCF, if you so desired. You could build a B2BUA with Asterisk SCF, if you so desired.

Cheers.[/quote]

The true nature of my question is to understand what Asterisk SCF is. :smile:

In the wiki wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/ … CF+Defined I read:
Scalability in Asterisk SCF is achieved by supporting load-balancing among the various system components. With each major function implemented in its own software module, users can make, during deployment, resource allocation decisions based on specific needs.

To achieve load-balancing now with Asterisk, I need a SIP proxy server. Do I also need that with Asterisk SCF?
Or does Asterisk SCF contain components for that purpose by itself ?

Rgds.
Henk

At present, a load balancer component for the SIP Session Manager is not build, only the SIP Session Manager and a generic State Replicator. We do expect to deliver components capable load balancing, especially as they relate to active/active setups.

Cheers.