Asterisk recorded files all 60 bytes

I have tried other recording formats and then it makes 0 byte files, I have cleared both sip.conf and extensions.conf so either my computer forgot how to encode gsm and all other formats or I have something wrong in my extensions.conf. I was able to get recordings for a while and i made some changes and now nothing, but the changes I made shouldn’t affect the files like this. here are my files.

sip.conf

[code][general]
dtmfmode = rfc2833
context=from-callcentric
srvlookup=yes
register => :secret@callcentric.com/*
session-timers=refuse
session-expires=180
session-minse=90
session-refresher=uas

[callcentric]
type=peer
context=from-callcentric
host=callcentric.com
defaultuser=username
secret=*******
fromuser=username
fromdomain=callcentric.com
insecure=port,invite

[123]
context=to-callcentric
type=friend
username=123
secret=jgytr5527
host=dynamic[/code]

extensions.conf

[code][from-callcentric]
exten => 1777234XXXX,1,Answer()
;exten => 1777234XXXX,n,SayDigits(${CALLERID(ani)})
exten => 1777234XXXX,n,Record(/media/data/recordings/${CALLERID(ani)}/${STRFTIME(${EPOCH},%m%d%y %H:%M:%S)}.g729,0,0,qk)
;exten => 1777234XXXX,n,Festival(‘Please enter the date of the recording you wish to listen to as 2 digits for month day and year’)

[to-callcentric]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@callcentric)[/code]

please help

Logs?

I have looked and it seems the default logging level doesn’t consider not being able to write a complete file as a freakin error. I don’t see a way to post files here and my log is too long to post in the message.

I found Master.csv, and it looks detailed and mentions the recording file, but even after setting verbose=3 and debug=3 and trying 5 and 4 and 1 and 1 respectively, in asterisk.conf it still doesn’t say anything about not being able to complete the recording file, as a matter of fact I see no more OR less info after changing these values. this is ridiculous. I have dealt with another program that doesn’t know how to log (oreka), and I consider it the worst offence in bad programming. Is there nothing I can do?

Try changing the file extension to ‘.gsm’. The format you’re using, g729, is a proprietary format for which a license is required. If you look at your console logging during a failed call, you’ll probably see an obscure message about how it couldn’t find a format converter between g729 and aLaw.

At any rate, I reproduced this problem in my lab and was able to resolve it by using gsm. Your mileage may vary.

that didn’t work, now the file is 0 bytes, since I wiped out everything and started over it has to be related to something external, ubuntu just did a lot of updates and that was about the time it stopped working i think. It wouldn’t be the first time they broke something.

Hi Sir,

Can try to use a different recording app? You are using record() function. Can you use mixmonitor instead and record it to wav?
Can you also post what can you see in the asterisk cli?

well I tried Monitor() and it won’t hold the extension open like Record() does. i assume MixMonitor() would be the same. The only access I have to the machine running asterisk is ssh and asterisk -r says unable to connect to remote asterisk. I don’t know another way to access the asterisk console

Is your asterisk running?

can you type?
asterisk -rvvvvvvvnc

Failing to find the .ctl pipe can be a sign of a failed attempt to run non-root. I suspect that the other problem may also be the result of trying to run non-root.

ok I didn’t type sudo before asterisk -r. Here is the output of asterisk -rvvvvvvvnc

[code]Asterisk 1.8.4.4~dfsg-2ubuntu1, Copyright © 1999 - 2010 Digium, Inc. and others.
Created by Mark Spencer markster@digium.com
Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type ‘core show warranty’ for details.
This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. Type ‘core show license’ for details.

== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf’: == Found
Parsing /etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf
Connected to Asterisk 1.8.4.4~dfsg-2ubuntu1 currently running on phirestalker (pid = 18909)
Verbosity is at least 1
Core debug is at least 1
[/code]
ok now someone asked what the cli says, how do I check? do i need to end asterisk and run it with console?

ok I figured out the console thing. first I set debug to 4 and verbosity to 10 here is the output when I made a call to the extension > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'callcentric.com' > ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha6.callcentric.com, port 5080 > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'callcentric.com' > ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha2.callcentric.com, port 5080 == Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5 -- Executing [17772349385@from-callcentric:1] Answer("SIP/66.54.140.46-00000000", "2") in new stack -- Executing [17772349385@from-callcentric:2] Record("SIP/66.54.140.46-00000000", "/media/data/recordings/4057606027/112411 22:03:01.gsm,0,0,qk") in new stack == Spawn extension (from-callcentric, 17772349385, 2) exited non-zero on 'SIP/66.54.140.46-00000000' > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'callcentric.com' > ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha9.callcentric.com, port 5080 > doing dnsmgr_lookup for 'callcentric.com' > ast_get_srv: SRV lookup for '_sip._udp.callcentric.com' mapped to host alpha8.callcentric.com, port 5080
all the files are still 0 bytes and no error on the console I can see. How in the world can not being able to encode the audio to the file NOT be an error??? ugh

the part starting at spawn extension didn’t happen until after I hung up the line from the calling phone

well I’ve tried everything I can think of in the configuration files. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be?

you are recording in g729 format? you still have the proprietary codec? have you try to record in another format?

just guessing :unamused:  :unamused:  :unamused:

you are recording in g729 format? you still have the proprietary codec? have you try to record in another format?

just guessing :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: