Asterisk on Wireless

I have been reading some of the info contained here on the website, and would like to implement asterisk within our small business. We are in a small town with limited connectivity, we have a wireless ISP that is somewhat reliable, but our phone is through Verizon and has been down for almost a week and a half. I think this would be a good system for us to use.

We have a small workgroup network setup within our shop via one Linux server running Fedora 9, should I use a seperate system for Asterisk and if so is Fedora a stable distro to use with this software?

With being on a wireless connection is this a pitfall to using Asterisk?

Fedora will work but I prefer something a little less bleeding edge for soemthing as important as a phone system. CentOS (cuurent version is 5) is a clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux and much more suited to the task. Asterisk really should be on its own system but for an install of less than 10 users any desktop sold in the last 4 years with 256-512MB RAM will work perfect.

Your calls over the wireless network may or may not work. Much depends on how fast\reliable the connection is and how many simultaneous calls you want to be able to make. Just because you get data reliably by no means you will get voice. If a data packet fails to deliver it is retransmitted with little or no perceived interruption, if a voice packet is lost its gone and you get skips in the sound. The best thing to do would be to try it and see how it goes.

Fedora will work but I prefer something a little less bleeding edge for soemthing as important as a phone system. CentOS (cuurent version is 5) is a clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux and much more suited to the task. Asterisk really should be on its own system but for an install of less than 10 users any desktop sold in the last 4 years with 256-512MB RAM will work perfect.

Your calls over the wireless network may or may not work. Much depends on how fast\reliable the connection is and how many simultaneous calls you want to be able to make. Just because you get data reliably by no means you will get voice. If a data packet fails to deliver it is retransmitted with little or no perceived interruption, if a voice packet is lost its gone and you get skips in the sound. The best thing to do would be to try it and see how it goes.

Asterisk is a software implementation of a telephone private branch exchange (PBX) originally created in 1999 by Mark Spencer of Digium. Like any PBX, it allows a number of attached telephones to make calls to one another, and to connect to other telephone services including the public switched telephone network (PSTN).

Thank you Flowers cheapest loans casas vilafranca mp3 ringtones