Asterisk on a router

Is it possible to compile Asterisk myself, on a router loaded with Linux ?
(Asus WL-500G Premium, loaded with DD-WRT or other third party software).

( I don’t have the router ! But if it is possible I consider purchasing one)

Yes, it is, I know there are * packages for the Openwrt distribution. Can’t tell you more because at home I’ve a Linksys router with Openwrt but * isn’t installed, perhaps it’s time to try.
Don’t try build it on the router, build it on a regular pc with the right toolchain to create a package for the router distro.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

[quote=“mbruni”]Yes, it is, I know there are * packages for the Openwrt distribution. Can’t tell you more because at home I’ve a Linksys router with Openwrt but * isn’t installed, perhaps it’s time to try.
Don’t try build it on the router, build it on a regular pc with the right toolchain to create a package for the router distro.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni[/quote]

Which toolchain is that?
I have no experience (yet) withOpenwrt (or other packages).

Why shouldn’t I build it straight on the router ?

The disadvantage with a packages is that you can’t choose the * version you want.

Henk

A router don’t have the nedeed power to build a software like *, so you need to build the package on a pc, starting from the source, so you can choose the * version and the then install the compiled software on the router, this is how normally it’s done, at least for what I know about.
The toolchain is the right compiler (gcc) and all other related utilities needed to build software from source.
You could also ask this same question on the Openwrt forum and see what they think about.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni

[quote=“mbruni”]A router don’t have the nedeed power to build a software like *, so you need to build the package on a pc, starting from the source, so you can choose the * version and the then install the compiled software on the router, this is how normally it’s done, at least for what I know about.
The toolchain is the right compiler (gcc) and all other related utilities needed to build software from source.
You could also ask this same question on the Openwrt forum and see what they think about.

Cheers.

Marco Bruni[/quote]

Thanks Marco.

I’ll give it a try. :smile: