Asterisk native audio e video formats

Hi,

I would like to know what are the native audio e video formats of Asterisk. If i don’t wrong the audio format is SNL signed linear…but i can’t find the video format.

Thank

Asterisk cannot transcode video, so it has no native video format.

It is possible to have useful Asterisk configurations where no audio transcoding is needed.

[quote=“david55”]Asterisk cannot transcode video, so it has no native video format.

It is possible to have useful Asterisk configurations where no audio transcoding is needed.[/quote]

Ok, but ast_frame has a field named video asterisk.org/doxygen/trunk/Def_Frame.html. What is the format store in it?

The format used by the user agent. Similarly for audio, if there is a mutually compatible codec, Asterisk will store the audio according to that codec. If it doesn’t need to generate anything inband itself, it may not even have the ability to transcode that audio codec format.

Ok, i have a webcam and softphone. For instance x-lite with codec ulaw and h263. There is no output format like .mpg, .mov, the output is stream of RTP packets with ulaw audio and h263 video. Is it right? Asterisk only store the RTP packet/frame and send it between the softphone ?!

thank

Ideally, you would externally bridge and not let Asterisk handle the RTP stream for an established call. However, in that configuration, for an internally bridged, established, call, Asterisk would transfer the RTP payload in G.711 mu-law and H.263, without modifying them.

If it needs to send tones or voice announcement, it will convert these to mu-law, and if it needs to inspect or record incoming audio, it will do conversions. I believe the through audio will still stay as mu-law, as both sides support it.