Asterisk@home parts needed to try the program Newbie Questio

I downloaded the current iso of *@home and want to play with the application. I currently have 1 pots line and bought one of the cheap 1 port cards off of ebay for testing purposes. I also have a full T-1 (data only). I will be running softphones for the testing phase.
With one pots line I can make and receive calls normally through *@home on 1 line and I can make extensions for the one line on softphones for individual users connected to the 1 incming line correct?

The (data) T-1 is useless to *@home unless I get a voip provider is that correct or can I make calls and receive them using the pots line and the data line?

Thanks,
Mike

The answer to your first question is presumably yes. The caveat is again the fact that individuals and/or softphones are not “connected” to the phone line other than when those individuals/softwares initiate phone calls. A PBX is tasked with connecting extensions to trunks (lines) on an as-needed basis.

You need to be clearer about what you mean when you say “T-1 (data.)” If you mean this T-1 is to the internet and you expect to make phone calls to the PSTN (normal phone network) you’ll need a VOIP provider of some kind.

[quote=“skidog”]I downloaded the current iso of *@home and want to play with the application. I currently have 1 pots line and bought one of the cheap 1 port cards off of ebay for testing purposes. I also have a full T-1 (data only). I will be running softphones for the testing phase.
With one pots line I can make and receive calls normally through *@home on 1 line and I can make extensions for the one line on softphones for individual users connected to the 1 incming line correct?

The (data) T-1 is useless to *@home unless I get a voip provider is that correct or can I make calls and receive them using the pots line and the data line?

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

Thats what I thought. Without a voip provider provisioning the line it is not compatible with voip. But I should be able to make and receive calls on the pots line normally.
Mike