Asterisk as a passive call recorder

I have a half-way working, proof-of-concept set up using Asterisk to replace a Mercom AudioLog passive call recorder, and could use some insight from the group in getting it working all the way. (Half isn’t quite good enough…)

The current system takes analog input from a VEC LRX-30 “logger patch” and writes it into a database.

I have asterisk configured with a single zap channel, set on immediate, that records files for me. This is the extensions.conf that (mostly) works for me:

[quote][default]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Record(${CHANNEL}-${STRFTIME(${EPOCH},%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)}.gsm,4,900)
exten => s,3,Wait(1)
exten => s,4,Dial(local/s)[/quote]

There are several drawbacks to this setup.

1. It beeps every time it loops.

2. It records zillions of empty files, four seconds long…

3. It feels like a klunky hack…

Any ideas? I could really use the help, and would LOVE to replace a $20k system with Asterisk (weighing in at roughly $4k for the same capacity…)

Thanks!

Or…

Does anyone know of a switching device that will cut the connection to the zap port when silence is detected?

If the silence wasn’t traveling down the line, I could do some thing more like:

[quote][default]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Record(${CHANNEL}-${STRFTIME(${EPOCH},%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)}.gsm,4,900) [/quote]

The presence/absence of the cord works quite well for the recording application.

I SUPPOSE that a manual switch could be employed, but that’s not nearly as good was what I’m looking to replace.

Please, help a fella out!

:smile: