Asterisk a complete a replacement of the PSTN

Asterisk a complete a replacement of the PSTN is it possible ?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Hello friends,
this is my first entry to this forum. Hum so i am currently working on to Asterisk with the aim in mind "To completely replace PSTN " and to have entire VOIP maybe on the national lavel.
I want to have your valuable opinions onto this.
I will be expecting following things in them.

1. Is it really possibly ? :question:
  2. I want to demonstrate this thing as my finale year engineering project and i want to demo my creativity to the examinars so give me some tips. I mean they may say that you are just using what already is in the * whats ur coding/work is?
    I think i am clear.
    Ok so friends if u people have even a smallest tip which may help me so kindly post them.

I think asterisk can replace the PSTN in some from but I don’t know if it would be ideal. There are lots of things that asterisk does not fully support (such as T.38) etc.

A few issues you may run in to if using the public internet is QoS. If you intend to have a closed network then yes it is possible.

Demonstrating this may be a bit hard. I would set up two three Asterisk Box’s representing the different telco companies and then have several phones on each one and demonstrate different customers calling different people etc.

[quote=“Dovid”]I think asterisk can replace the PSTN in some from but I don’t know if it would be ideal. There are lots of things that asterisk does not fully support (such as T.38) etc.

A few issues you may run in to if using the public internet is QoS. If you intend to have a closed network then yes it is possible.

Demonstrating this may be a bit hard. I would set up two three Asterisk Box’s representing the different telco companies and then have several phones on each one and demonstrate different customers calling different people etc.[/quote]

thanks dovid