ASTERISK-28800: Still open?

Yesterday I hit a highly reproducible segfault in Asterisk 20.6.0 and Asterisk 18. After some careful googling I came upon ASTERISK-28800: core: SIGSEGV on DTMF when some modules not loaded which fit my issue. As this is an archive site, I was wondering if this bug was fixed, or if it has migrated and I failed to find it.

The issue is basically that, without res_timing modules loaded, Asterisk will segfault when it receives DTMF on a call, such as in a dialplan menu. The segfault happens with no error and no log, just call the system, press a button, and boom you’re back at the OS command prompt. There appears to be a missing error handler to cause the missing module to be detected and the system config to be gracefully rejected.

The reason I was running without the timing modules at all is because I’m rebuilding a Asterisk server that is very basic, it just does SIP, a simple dialplan, and voicemail. Asterisk 20 comes with ~300 modules out of the box, of which I currently know I need ~100. As some of these modules look like things I know I won’t need but could be useful to an attacker, I want to disable modules unless I’m confident I need them. Given the number of modules and the overall good missing module reporting I took the approach of disabling everything and enabling what I needed as I tested. I missed the timing modules in reading over the list for obvious needs.

So, from a user perspective, I don’t expect Asterisk to work without the timing modules, and I know I’m playing with live wires by mucking with the module loading, but I do expect Asterisk to not segfault silently when a module is missing. Please let me know if ASTERISK-28800 is still open or not. Thanks.

Issues were not recreated on GitHub, if noone has opened a new one then it’s not present. Any closed issues would also be present on GitHub since our starting to use it.

Okay, I’ll I didn’t see it on Github and that explains it. I’ll reopen it as, while ultimately it was user error, the process to identify the error could be improved. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.