Answer Supervision Problem on outbound trunks

Answer/ Call Supervision Problem E&M Wink T1

I have a problem with the phone company and answer supervision.

The zapata.conf and zaptel.conf sections that I “hope” are appropiate will be included below

The phone company “Northwest Tel” is providing a T1 with AMI, D4 E&M Wink on a DMS10 (Canadian Phone Company)

We have gone through and reconfigured the T1 several times, I have spent a week going through different settings with them

The phone company provides answer supervision/ Disconnect Supervision only on calls that go through successfully

So I have the following working/ not working. (Please take into account that their is a satelite link for the phone company which can introduce a delay of upto 8 to 12 seconds in the call connection establishment although normally it seems to be quicker than that)

  1. Dial Out local call. (Works and everything seems fine)

  2. Dial Out local call, far end is busy (I use busydetect to catch this and it seems
    to work although they get one ring before they get a busy tone

  3. Dial Out to a destination where the number is not in service (Localy) (The phone just rings and rings, if you try it from a non t1 line, you get “the this number not in service” message)

  4. Dial Out long distance to a number that is in service (It answers but you loose the begining of the call (ie Hello Hello Hello – Answer)

I need to fix 3 and 4 and improve on 2. I am looking for suggestions. It has been recommended that I consider setting it up for. “Assume Answer”

If I do assume answer, the idea would be that after a second or two, I get asterisk to connect me to the out going line and let me listen to what is their, so that I get the messages etc. (ie assume no answer supervision, on the phone companies part)

I have tried em/em wink/ featb/ featd/ featdmf

Asterisk 1.2.12.1
zaptel 1.2.9.1
Freepbx 2.1.3

zaptel.conf

loadzone=us
defaultzone=us
span=1,1,0,d4,ami
e&m=1-24

zapata.conf

callprogress=yes
progzone=ca
;progzone=us (I have tried the US to)

busydetect=yes

context=from-pstn
signalling=em_w
group = 0
channel=>1-2

Hi,

:smiley:

After maaaaaany hours I have figured out the following solution and combinations.

It turns out that it is not directly related to E&M Wink, although it is definetly made worse by how the phone company implements the T1, as I have this working elsewhere without the same problems.

In the dialing options under general. I removed the “r” option. I removed both but, it is possible that only the outgoing one is required. (This is based on freepbx)

This did not actually fix the problem until i changed a couple of other settings. (I got this information from the asterisk forum)

So I also had to remove

Call Progress
Busy Detection

(Don’t forget the “r” dialing plan option)

If you use busy detection you must also supply a pattern, or it will hangup on calls randomly (Or so it seems)

So this fixed (I hope completely)

Not being able to dial into the local goverments voicemail.
1-800 dialing problems.
Not detecting the messages from the phone company (ie “this number is not in service”)
Random hangups
Busy tones when the number is not in use
4 or 5 rings and then getting a busy tone.
other random call issues

These errors all originaly pointed at answer supervision problems, (which their are issues with in that area “Northern Canada”) but no amount of driver changes or even hardware type changes would fix it.

This problem also showed up on an fxo line when I configured it.

And then I had to restart asterisk for it to take effect.

I hope this helps somebody.