3 Way calling

I did some googling but couldn’t come up with the right terms, so this might be obvious, if so just direct me to a link. But please read all the specifics.

The scenario is…

Outside user calls Asterisk, gets extension 111
Extension 111 puts outside caller on hold, calls extension 222 and talks
Extension 111 goes back to outside caller to talk.
Extension 111 then conferences outside call in with extension 222

So, outside caller, extension 111 and extension 222 are all now talking.

KEY Point: Extension 111 can hang up, and call is NOT dropped

This is how the Nortel system does conferencing, and I need to make this work for an office that is just now using asterisk. Anyone?!? :smile: A standard conference bridge is not an option

Thanks!

Are you using a VoIP phone, an ethernet ATA or a FXS PCI card?

We’re using Aastra phones, and some softphones. Ideally though this is handled outside of the phones, which the Nortel system seemed to do.

We have a Digium PRI card running things.

Thanks!

[quote=“kbmetz”]We’re using Aastra phones, and some softphones. Ideally though this is handled outside of the phones, which the Nortel system seemed to do.
[/quote]
I have an SPA3102 and when I hang up on a threeway call theres a SIP reinvite so that the SPA3102 is taken out of the call path.

I just checked the settings and found this:

[quote=“SPA3102 web interface”]
Xfer When Hangup Conf: Yes [/quote]
maybe your other phones have a similar option?

I’m too much of a futureino to know anything about nortel systems :smile:

I checked the Aastra web interface and there wasn’t anything like that. In fact, the Aastra documentation clearly states ‘if your the originating party of a three way call and you hang up, both parties will be disconnected’. So I guess their idea of a conference is different than the SPA or Nortel!

And I’m no fan of Nortel either. The asterisk system is replacing the Nortel system. How-ever if I can’t get conferencing to work EXACTLY the same way they want to roll back to the Nortel system. It seems like a mistake to me to hinge your entire telephony plans on one simple feature. When in fact that feature can be accomplished many other ways. The problem is they don’t want any other way than what they had before sigh

This looks promising, but I’m having trouble testing it at the moment due to VPN access! voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … call+HOWTO. But thanks for the suggestion though!

[quote=“Docteh”][quote=“kbmetz”]We’re using Aastra phones, and some softphones. Ideally though this is handled outside of the phones, which the Nortel system seemed to do.
[/quote]
I have an SPA3102 and when I hang up on a threeway call theres a SIP reinvite so that the SPA3102 is taken out of the call path.

I’m too much of a futureino to know anything about nortel systems :smile:[/quote]

I checked the Aastra web interface and there wasn’t anything like that. In fact, the Aastra documentation clearly states ‘if your the originating party of a three way call and you hang up, both parties will be disconnected’. So I guess their idea of a conference is different than the SPA or Nortel!

And I’m no fan of Nortel either. The asterisk system is replacing the Nortel system. How-ever if I can’t get conferencing to work EXACTLY the same way they want to roll back to the Nortel system. It seems like a mistake to me to hinge your entire telephony plans on one simple feature. When in fact that feature can be accomplished many other ways. The problem is they don’t want any other way than what they had before sigh

This looks promising, but I’m having trouble testing it at the moment due to VPN access! voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste … call+HOWTO. But thanks for the suggestion though!

[quote=“Docteh”][quote=“kbmetz”]We’re using Aastra phones, and some softphones. Ideally though this is handled outside of the phones, which the Nortel system seemed to do.
[/quote]

I’m too much of a futureino to know anything about nortel systems :smile:[/quote]