1st time AsteriskNOW user ... few questions!

i downloaded and isntalled asteriskNOW . The pc already has a Dialogic Diva 4BRI -8 v2 card. I am now awaiting delivery of the IP-phones i have ordered ( 10 of them ) .
This is my set up : ISDN line -> AsteriskNOW -> 10 ip-phones.
Using the webmanagment page of asterisknow i get a bit lost.
This is how i have pictured it in my head , correct me if i am wrong.

Each so called " user " is an ip-phone.
Do i choose SIP or IAX?
Do i need to have a service provider? I was told NO !

now in the calling rules tab . I need to see a working example. :wink: I have no idea how to set it up .

basically what i have to achieve is to have all 10 phones working thru the local ISDN line and not via an online gateway .

Each “user” can be thought of as an IP phone (for most purposes).

Most likely the phones you ordered are SIP phones and don’t support IAX (what phones did you order?).

You do not need a VOIP service provider if you are using your Diva BRI card for calls to the PSTN but you still of course need a provider for your BRI service.

Sorry cant help much with the calling rules - I setup AsteriskNOW and looked at it for about 20 minutes so not really sure if I would be telling you the right way to do things.

[quote=“swaterhouse”]Each “user” can be thought of as an IP phone (for most purposes).

Most likely the phones you ordered are SIP phones and don’t support IAX (what phones did you order?).

You do not need a VOIP service provider if you are using your Diva BRI card for calls to the PSTN but you still of course need a provider for your BRI service.

.[/quote]

what do you mean when you say i need a provider for BRI service? Give me an example plz? What kind of provider is that ?

Your ISDN provider (i.e. the phone company)

You cannot use the AsteriskNOW GUI to set up Service Providers or Calling Rules for PRI or BRI trunks. The functionality isn’t there yet. It should be soon, but it’s not yet. If you need a GUI solution that DOES support that, I would recommend looking at EvolutionPBX…it’s Asterisk-based, and it’s not free, but it does have that ability.

Otherwise, you’ll have to setup mISDN by yourself in order to setup incomming or outgoing calls (defined in the dialplan). You do NOT need any sort of trunk interface in order to test/configure your SIP users and phones.

Be wary, though, as AsteriskNOW does not automatically provision phones. You can set up the extensions via GUI, but provisioning is left up to you. It’s not very difficult, though.

Just FYI, I am using an install of AsteriskNOW over a T1 PRI interface with Cisco 7941 phones just fine. Just because that functionality does not yet exist in the GUI doesn’t mean AsteriskNOW is a useless piece of software.

it is my understanding that withOUT a voice gateway ( like the ones you pay a monthly fee ) you can not place calls to ordinary phones or receive calls So with my set up i can only place locally ( 3digit) calls Am i correct?

Without a connection to the outside world, either via an analog gateway that you plug phone lines into, a T1, or a internet provider (like any of the big voip companies, vonage, etc) you will only be able to make calls within your phone system, i.e., whatever is connected to your network.

You can get an analog card and plug in individual phone lines, a ISDN/T1 card and have multiple phone lines, or use a broadband VoIP endpoint (which you pay a monthly fee for) to get out to the world.